CA GROWN Blog
Discover. Learn. Connect.
Garden Grilled Cheese
Garden Grilled Cheese
Who doesn’t love an ooey gooey grilled cheese sandwich? Since the time we were little, most of us grew up on them. Simple to prepare and easy, plentiful ingredients make this meal a tradition in many homes. Well, we’ve all grown up since then and so have the ingredients! Ripe, crimson tomatoes (direct from my brother’s field) and fresh, creamy avocados add to the softened caramelized onions and spicy microgreens. The textures and flavors meld together in what will be one of your favorite comfort meals this Fall.
I’m partial to sourdough for a grilled cheese, but you can use whichever bread you like best. A nice medium toast is ideal and best achieved with a high quality butter. The butter melts into the bread and adds a nutty aroma to the entire meal.
I served mine with a hearty Roasted Tomato Basil Soup (recipe coming soon) and it was divine! Rich and nourishing to say the least. A great meal to whip up when you’re stuck at home during a rainstorm, with the fire roaring and your favorite movie playing.
Wanna make one? Let’s do this….
Stackable line-up: Tomato, Avocado, Grilled onions, Microgreens
Add a healthy layer of butter to one side of two slices of bread
Place buttered side down in a hot cast iron skillet and top with a layer of cheese
Top with a robust portion of grilled onions
Next comes the avocado
Then the beautiful tomato
Another layer of cheese
Place the other piece of bread with the butter side up (for flipping later) and let brown for a minute or two. Carefully flip and allow sandwich to brown and the cheese to melt entirely. You can gently press the sandwich down with a spatula to help everything melt together nicely. Once you remove from the heat, you can gently open up the sandwich and stuff in the microgreens.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
- 2 slices bread (I used sourdough)
- 4 oz. cheese (I used a mild gruyere)
- 1 Tomato
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1/2 yellow onion, caramelized
- Handful microgreens of your choice
- Preheat cast iron skillet over medium heat
- Butter one side of the two pieces of bread
- Place buttered piece of bread face down in skillet
- Top with cheese
- Add caramelized onion, avocado and tomato
- Top with more cheese
- Place other piece of bread with buttered side up on top and flip once browned
- Toast the other side for a few minutes until done
- Remove from heat and gently open up sandwich and stuff with microgreens
- Press sandwich together, slice and serve.