CA GROWN Blog
Discover. Learn. Connect.
Raise your hand if you like simple summer salads?
What if we could incorporate a favorite summertime fruit that is traditionally reserved for big slices and smiles, and combine it with a few fresh herbs and a zesty dressing?
That would be fabulous, no?
Well this recipe has it all!
And it’s super easy too; a handful of ingredients create a bright and delicious dressing that is simple yet powerful and tangy. We top the whole salad off with a nice dusting of a chopped almond and peanut mixture which gives it a wonderfully unexpected crunch.
I used red seedless watermelon from my local market, but feel free to use yellow, or any other variety of California watermelon you prefer. This particular melon has a great texture and is very juicy…just like they should be!
I cut the watermelon into medium-sized cubes and added fresh chopped basil and mint leaves that I grew in my garden. Love being able to go outside a pick fresh leaves off the plants!
A quick addition of dressing to the chunks of watermelon and herbs…
Lightly fold the mixture and pour into a serving dish…
Top with a layer of crushed almonds and serve!
Such a refreshing option to serve for your weeknight dinners. It’s also the perfect option when heading to a neighborhood cookout or family get together.
Just make sure you make enough, because it will get devoured!
Here is the recipe for ya…
- 1 large lime, juiced (about 4 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon Sriracha
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 large watermelon, flesh cut into 1 inch chunks (about 12 cups)
- 15-20 large basil leaves, rough chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, rough chopped
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
- Mix all the dressing ingredients and stir to combine
- Place the watermelon, basil and mint in a large mixing bowl
- Pour the dressing over and lightly fold to coat
- Add the chopped almond/peanut mixture to the top and serve
- Can be made in advance and refrigerated. Wait to add the almond topping until ready to serve