CA GROWN Blog
Discover. Learn. Connect.
An Easy Pasta Sauce Recipe to Try Now.
An Easy Pasta Sauce Recipe to Try Now.
When your garden is really pushing fresh tomatoes you should make this easy pasta sauce recipe! By roasting the tomatoes in the oven they become rich and take on a deep robust flavor. Move over jarred pasta sauce, you’ve got nothing on this simple Easy Roasted Tomato Marinara Sauce
Step-by-step how to make this easy pasta sauce recipe.
The thought of making pasta sauce from fresh tomatoes is a tad bit daunting to some home cooks, but let me assure you it is totally worth all the fuss.
This easy pasta sauce recipe starts with simple ingredients.
Nothing too fancy in this ingredient list!
Simply fresh tomatoes, you can use whatever type of tomato you’d like, but I chose these beautiful Roma tomatoes.
Also, you will need garlic, onion, basil, a few dried spices, Balsamic vinegar, a smidge of sugar, and olive oil.
Prep the tomatoes.
First, remove the core from the tomato. Then slice the tomatoes in half and then cut them into fourths.
Add the tomatoes to a sheet pan, set aside.
Prep the onion.
Then roughly chop one half of a yellow onion and add it to the pan as well.
Prep the garlic.
Peel and roughly dice 4-5 cloves of fresh garlic and add it to the pan along with the other vegetables.
Spice it up!
Season the prepared tomatoes and other vegetables for this easy pasta sauce recipe with dried oregano, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
Drizzle on the EVOO.
Don’t skimp, drizzle on a hefty amount of extra virgin olive oil right before roasting the veggies in the oven.
Roast to perfection.
Roast the tomatoes, onions, garlic, and spices at 375° for 45 minutes. Let cool on the pan for about 10 minutes.
Blend it all together!
Combine it all together in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the “S” blade or a blender.
Blend until smooth.
Add the remaining ingredients and simmer.
Transfer the sauce to a skillet or sauce pan, then add the balsamic vinegar, sugar, and red pepper flakes, as well as salt and pepper, to taste.
Allow to simmer for at least 20 minutes so that the flavors meld together.
Now toss this sauce with your favorite pasta and prepare to be amazed at how delicious it is! We bet you won’t be going back to store-bought marinara sauce any time soon.
Craving more CA Grown goodness? Follow us on Pinterest for fresh and fabulous recipe inspiration!
BE SURE TO SHARE YOUR FAVORITE EASY PASTA SAUCE RECIPE OR WAYS YOU USE TOMATOES WITH US BY SNAPPING A PIC AND TAGGING US ON SOCIAL USING #CAGROWN.
Easy Roasted Tomato Marinara Sauce
- 2 pounds Roma Tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Remove the core and chop the tomatoes into fourths and place on sheet pan.
- Roughly chop one half of a yellow onion and add to the pan. Remove garlic cloves from the bulb, peel, and roughly chop into pieces, add to the pan.
- Season with Italian seasoning, oregano, salt and pepper. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Roast at 375° for 45 minutes. Then cool on the pan for 10 minutes.
- Add the roasted veggies to a food processor or blender and pulse until the consistency is to your liking.
- Transfer the sauce to a skillet or sauce pan, then add the balsamic vinegar, sugar, and red pepper flakes, as well as salt and pepper, to taste.
- Simmer for 20 minutes then serve on top of your favorite pasta with fresh basil and/or Parmesan on top!
Looking for more delicious recipes with California Grown tomatoes? Keep scrolling!
Ever wondered what to do with lots of fresh tomatoes? Well, you are in luck because we happen to have a plethora of delicious tomato recipes just waiting on you to explore.