CA GROWN Blog
Discover. Learn. Connect.
Black Plum Cake
Black Plum Cake
This smooth and flavorful cake is gorgeous and simple to make. The plums bake into the spice batter, causing the fruit to basically melt like butter. This method allows the texture to be one of the moistest cakes I’ve eaten!
I started with California black plums. It’s quite the phenomenon of a black plum having this beautiful crimson color flesh. The exterior is quite dark…. black even, like it’s namesake. But the interior is a brilliant red that is visually phenomenal in this cake.
We halve, pit and quarter these badboys
Prepare your batter and smooth out in a 9-inch springform pan
Arrange your quartered black plums in a beautiful pattern over the batter
Top with a few teaspoons of sugar and bake for about an hour.
Easy as pie…. or cake!
And what emerges is this luscious, velvety dream….
I added another few teaspoons of sugar before serving and released the cake from the side panel
Well, hello gorgeous!
I would imagine this cake would be great served with a dollop of fresh whip cream, but I couldn’t even go there……
It was too good not to just dive right in!
Here is the easy recipe for ya! Don’t miss out on California’s fresh plum season!
- 4-5 ripe black plums
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350
- Halve, pit and quarter the black plums
- Mix together in a bowl the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt
- In a separte bowl, combine the butter and 1 cup sugar and mix with beaters until well blended, a few minutes.
- Add the flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture alternatley until a think batter is formes
- Spread into a prepared 9 inch spring form pan. Top with 2 teaspoons sugar and bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Top with the remianing 2 teaspoons sugar and release the springform wall from the cake. Serve and enjoy!